DTBK Presents: Downtown Brooklyn Car Free Earth Day
Join us for an exciting earth-friendly celebration at Albee Square Plaza and Albee Square West – which will be closed to traffic all day. Bring your bikes, roller skates, and beach chairs, and enjoy a car free street!
What we have in store:
On Albee Square West:
- Learn to ride a bike with Bike New York! Bike New York will be teaching kids 5 - 14 who are ready to ditch their training wheels learn how to ride safely along Albee Square West (which is closed to traffic for the day)! Bring your own bike and helmet. Advance registration is preferred and limited to 15; walk-ups will be accepted if space allows.
- Bring your sunglasses and lounge in our pop-up park!
On Albee Square:
- Environmentally-conscious Artichoke Dance Company will present a work created during the Downtown Brooklyn Rehearsal Residency Initiative that reflects the nature of the earth’s cycles and the interconnectedness of its systems. Dressed in their signature plastic bag costumes, the vivacious dance also celebrates the implementation of plastic bag legislation in New York State and makes a call to action for the proposed Break Free from Plastic Pollution Act of 2021. Join for movement and action!
- Two 12-foot guardians-of-the-ocean puppets designed by artist Theodora Skipitares will “make waves” on Albee Square, introducing a leaping salmon, a bouncing earth, and other sea creatures.
- Snap a social-distanced selfie at the event, tag us on Instagram (@downtownbrooklyn), and celebrate Earth Day at home by winning a packet of Downtown Brooklyn-branded seeds to start your own mini-garden.
- Kids! Visit the DBP table to get a special Downtown Brooklyn Earth Day coloring postcard, a fun activity for you to do when you get home!
Happy Earth Day from Downtown Brooklyn!