Now you can experience Downtown Brooklyn programming from home!
June 24, 2020
Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. We’re celebrating Pride with rainbows! Specifically, Downtown Brooklyn’s rainbow of awnings!
Red: In Downtown Brooklyn for over 50 years, Trophy World, at 46 Hoyt Street, does custom engraving of plaques and trophies for all types of awards and events, with hundreds of options.
Orange: The Mediterranean food joint, Greek Xpress at 158 Lawrence Street, serves up authentic Greek dishes like shish kebabs, falafel, and their famous gyro as well as grilled chicken, burgers, and fries.
Yellow: Circa Brewing Co at 141 Lawrence is a 6,000 sq foot, fully functioning brewery and wood-fired pizza restaurant. Currently open for pick-up and deliveries!
Green: The awnings of Mimi Nails & Spa and several other businesses create a sea of green along Bond Street from Fulton St. to Livingston Streets.
Blue: Shoe Bug, at 383 Jay Street, has carried a vast selection of brand name shoes, boots, handbags, and accessories for ladies for 20+ years.
Purple: Jide’s Dandy, at 375 Jay Street offers an eclectic range of menswear, and its owner, Jide Omo has styled many TV and Broadway stars. They have been on the corner of Willoughby and Jay for over 25 years!
Feeling crafty? Want to make your own rainbows and display your pride? Jaclyn Carter, a parent at the International Charter School, has published a video showing how to make rainbows to place in your window. A perfect craft activity for any age, in celebration of Pride!
e After experiencing the rainbow in Downtown Brooklyn, be sure to celebrate Pride and enjoy some of the virtual happenings around town:
- The Center for Fiction celebrates Pride all month with its series, Inside and Out. Featuring a phenomenal line-up of authors whose books center the unique experiences of queer characters, conversations will explore how sexuality and gender identity intersect with race, class, religion, and nationality.
- The Brooklyn Community Pride Center has talks, hangouts, craft nights, and virtual dance parties all month long!
- Want to support a Pride-related cause with a race? Register for the 5-mile Front Runners New York LGBT Pride Run. Choose your own path and run on your own time between June 20th – 27th. Race proceeds will be donated to New Alternatives, a nonprofit focused on increasing the self-sufficiency of LGBT homeless youth by enabling them to transition out of the shelter system to stable adult lives.
- On Sunday, June 28 from 12 - 2pm, celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first Pride March with a Special Pride Broadcast Event. Though it will be a very different type of celebration, the tradition of commemorating the LGBTQIA+ movement continues. Featuring performances by Janelle Monáe, Deborah Cox, Billy Porter, Luísa Sonza and more.
- New York Emmy-winning arts and culture station, All Arts, created by WNET, the parent company of New York’s PBS stations, celebrates Pride all month. Their remaining broadcast schedule is here or deep dive into their well of videos online.
Now a task for you: go on a photography scavenger hunt, find an assortment of awnings from Downtown Brooklyn businesses, and create your own rainbow! Tag us in your “awning rainbow,” and win a $25 gift certificate to Greek Xpress! Happy Pride everyone!