Car Free Earth Day Downtown Brooklyn
Join us for earth-friendly activities from 11am-3pm on the plaza at Albee Square. And Albee Square West will be closed to traffic all day, so bring your bike, your roller skates, and your beach chairs and enjoy Car Free NYC!
11am-1pm (or until supplies run out): Free Tree Giveaway with the New York Restoration Project
NYRP has given away tens of thousands of trees to be planted in New York City and the next stop on their list is Downtown Brooklyn! Get a tree and plant it in your yard, community garden, rooftop, lawn, garden, terrace, or common space! More info here.
1-3 pm: Learn to ride a bike with Bike New York!
Bike New York teaches kids 5 - 14 who are ready to ditch their training wheels learn how to ride safely along Albee Square West (which is closed to traffic for the day), while parents and guardians cheer them on! Bring your own bike and helmet. Advance registration is preferred; walk-up students are accepted if space allows.
1:30-2:30pm: Live music with the Wollesonics!
Fronted by percussionist Kenny Wollesen, Wollesonics is a marching band made up of homemade instruments (many repurposed!) that has been known to play on bridges, mountain tops, beaches, in elevators, on Grammy nominated records, on huge uptown stages & in dinky downtown clubs. Wollesonics is a spontaneous, organic, ephemeral pleasure-filled situation.
- Bring your old clothes and re-purpose them into the hottest fashions! Participate in the following activities with Esa New York:
- Paint on your clothes station: give your old clothes a makeover with acrylic paint, paint markers, and stencils. You bring the shirts; we’ll provide the paint!
- No-sew t-shirt to tote bag: with a few scissor snips and ties, you will learn how to easily transform old t-shirts to useful tote bags and even a knapsack!
- Learn to sew! At the mending station, learn easy mending and hand sewing techniques to reattach a button and patch a hole.
- Join Fiberhouse Collective, who will teach you the ancient natural process of indigo and resist dyeing, and how to obtain rich blues from the indigo plant. Fabric available on site to dye or bring your own!
- Stop using plastic bags and learn how to screen print onto your own reusable tote bag with artists from BRIC! (And once you’re done, head over to BRIC for BRIC Open!)
- Brooklyn Children’s Museum On-the-Go will have an educator on site for a hands-on encounter with the museum’s collection! Explore the rich biological diversity of New York today, as well as how the peoples indigenous to New York interacted with their environment.
- Pick up a complimentary Citi Bike Day Pass and bike off your carbon footprint!
- Transportation Alternatives will be on site, rallying for safe and vibrant streets, affordable and reliable public transit and a bike-friendly city.
- Sample the healthy and earth-friendly foods of Fresh and Co and Health-Ade!
- Beat the heat and stay hydrated with Albee Square’s pop-up public fountain, provided by DEP’s Water-On-the-Go program. Bring your own bottle!
- NYC Department of Sanitation’s (DSNY) Organics Outreach table brings information about the new citywide composting program with free recycling materials, games, and giveaways!
- Learn about community-supported agriculture with Brooklyn Beet CSA and Angel Family Farm.
- Take celebratory Earth Day photos!
- Visit the DBP tent, sign up for our upcoming events, and get a Downtown Brooklyn aluminum water bottle (while supplies last.)
- DJ Mike-Doelo provides beats throughout.
In partnership with NYC DOT Weekend Walks.
Sponsored by Macy’s.