- Are you a property owner in Downtown Brooklyn looking for help to transform your vacant space into a vibrant commercial opportunity?
- The Downtown Brooklyn Partnership is offering dollar-to-dollar matching grants of up to $25,000 to renovate commercial spaces located within the Eastern Gateway.
In recent years, Downtown Brooklyn has attracted major public and private investments, including the Barclays Center, the Cultural District, and NYU’s Center for Urban Science and Progress. Yet, the Eastern Gateway which connects these assets contains a number of buildings where the ground and upper floors have long been vacant. Bringing these spaces back online will help facilitate economic growth in this area and build a cohesive Downtown Brooklyn community.
For property owners located in the area, there is no better time to think about converting vacant spaces into new commercial uses. Watch this video to learn more:
Eastern Gateway Revitalization Project
To help incentivize this transformation, the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership received a grant from the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal that will leverage private sector investment to renovate vacant spaces within the Eastern Gateway and catalyze economic growth and job creation in the area.
The Eastern Gateway Revitalization Project will award property owners up to $25,000 in dollar-to-dollar matching grants for interior and exterior renovations that bring formerly vacant commercial spaces back to market. The grant will reimburse property owners for work after it has been completed. Additionally, our team will provide support in identifying architects to help meet City building codes and contractors to complete the proposed project and can assist in securing possible tenants for the new commercial spaces.
Do You Qualify?
The following checklist will help you determine whether you are eligible to apply (you must meet all of the below requirements):
- Your property falls into the Eastern Gateway boundaries (see above map).
- Your property contains at least 500 square feet of vacant space.
- You plan to renovate your property in order to create new commercial space.
- You agree to complete your project by August 2014.
- You must maintain the property in good condition and for commercial use for at least 5 years.
Download an Application
If you qualify, click here to download an application. Proposals are due by Friday, March 29, 2013. Those selected for implementation will be notified by April 30, 2013.
Questions should be directed to Katie Lyon at email@example.com or 718.403.1618.